Price $10,380,733

*price approximately

DETAILS

  • TypeCastle
  • Year1610
  • Bedrooms30
  • Bathrooms---
  • Living area1500 (Meters)
  • Property land size39.6 hectares
  • Floors-----
  • Number parking garageYes
  • Swimming poolNo
  • ConditionUsed
  • Property IDV0015LY

DESCRIPTION

share

Majestic 17th-century pleasure residence on the banks of the Saône

Majestic 17th-century pleasure residence on the banks of the Saône, just 30 minutes from Lyon, 45 minutes from St Exupéry airport and 30 minutes from Macon TGV station.

This château is listed as one of the region's finest jewels. Built on the site of a former 12th-century stronghold house, this prestigious residence was rebuilt between 1610 and 1616.

This "Italian-style" château evokes the tranquillity of pleasure residences and the atmosphere of Italian villas, and has retained its feudal structure with moat, drawbridge and corner towers. Built of gilded Beaujolais stone, it comprises a central three-storey main building, which once housed a consistory on the first floor and a Protestant temple on the upper floor. This central body, topped by a high roof, is flanked by two two-storey wings, forming the owners' living quarters. It is flanked on the north side by two projecting square towers topped with imperial domes.

On the south side, it opens onto a double flight of stairs leading to a vast formal garden, and beyond to a wilder English-style park.

This neglected historic property was renovated in 2000 by its current owners, who have brought it back to life. The building is listed as a Historic Monument, as is the parkland, thus protecting the immediate environment of this building and its 39.6 hectares.

The interior boasts a number of historic original features, including a "modern empty staircase", which opens onto a central void via arcades, and magnificent reception rooms that cross between the gardens on the south side and the courtyard on the north side. Some of the flats have been restored, including one in the Louis XV style. The former Temple on the second level, with a space of 250 m², remains to be restored.

The original decor of the residence is sumptuous, with murals dating from 1632 by the Italian artist Pietro Ricchi, a Tuscan painter.

The semi-buried basement housed the kitchens. The boiler room is located on this level.

The estate includes numerous outbuildings: the caretaker's cottage at the entrance, which is only partly occupied, a former farmhouse that could accommodate families and guests, with its outbuildings and swimming pool, and the parklands with their orchard, vegetable garden, topiary and elegant plane tree-lined driveway.

PROXIMITIES

Bus

Shops

Primary school

Town centre

Hospital/clinic

Doctor

Supermarket

Day care

Movies

Airport

TGV station

Highway

INQUIRY

FOR SALE BY

JOHN TAYLOR

Contact Name: John Taylor Lyon +33 7 60 13 70 00

visit seller page

Show phone number